Micro-credentials may just be the future of competency-based professional learning in K-12 education. Why? Wherever you are in your understanding of a particular topic, micro-credentialing allows you to move toward concept mastery and the practical application of skills.Explore courses Sign up for notifications
What are micro-credentials?
Micro-credentials are a relatively new concept in education. They are a form of certification — typically symbolically represented as a digital badge — that operate as a stamp of approval for mastery of a particular skill.
Micro-credentials follow the paradigm of competency-based professional learning by allowing educators to focus on a discrete skill related to their practice — for instance, checking for student understanding — and collect the evidence — such as classroom videos or student work — to demonstrate ability in that specific skill.
Just as SCECHs operate as Michigan’s reward system for honoring teachers for the time they spend on their professional development, micro-credentials operate as a reward system for honoring educators for the competencies they have mastered.
Our micro-credential courses
MASA micro-credential courses
Together with the Michigan Association of Superintendents and Administrators (MASA), we’ve designed courses and micro-credential learning experiences that prepare administrators and superintendents with training to address key issues within their districts.
- Communications Micro-Credential
- Communications Micro-Credential: Developing a Communications Plan — Coming soon!
- Communications Micro-Credential: Developing a Crisis Communication Plan — Coming soon!
- HR Best Practices Micro-Credential: District Framework
- HR Discipline Micro-Credential — Coming soon!
- HR Evaluation Micro-Credential — Coming soon!
- HR Hiring Micro-Credential — Coming soon!
MEMSPA micro-credential courses
Together with the Michigan Elementary and Middle School Principals Association (MEMSPA), we’ve designed micro-credential courses that prepare middle and elementary school principals with the training on topics that help them best support their students.
- School Vision for Learning
- Developing Your Personal Mission
- Comprehensive Needs Assessment
- Leading Student Engagement
- Module 1 – Supporting Improvement with Systems
- Understanding Your Title I, Part A Program
- Understanding Your Title II, Part A Program
- Understanding Your Title IV, Part A Program
Leadership & literacy micro-credentials
- Leadership & Literacy Part 1 – Action Plan
- Leadership & Literacy Part 2 – Resources & Alignment
- Leadership & Literacy Part 3 – Reflection
Social emotional learning micro-credentials
- Embedding SEL Schoolwide
- Suicide Prevention — Coming soon!
- Chronic Absenteeism — Coming soon!
- SEL & Whole Child
- Braiding MTSS & SEL
- SEL & Family Engagement
- Comprehensive Staff Well-Being
If you’d like to receive notifications when new micro-credentials are available from MEMSPA, please sign up for email notifications using the form below.
Ready to earn your first micro-credential?
Micro-credentials are an innovative way for you to demonstrate and share your educational competencies. You can explore all of the micro-credential courses in our catalog using the link below!Explore our micro-credential courses
Sign up to receive email notifications
Want us to let you know when new micro-credentials are available? Sign up below, and we’ll send you email notifications when they’re ready for enrollment!