A little guidance goes a long way Mentors Make a Difference
Online Mentor Training
Michigan Virtual’s mentor training offers information, resources and opportunities to support school leaders and onsite mentors in perfecting their practice to improve student success in online courses.
Be ahead of the game with the most up-to-date developments in mentor practices.
- Sharing knowledge of mentor best practices
- Creating and supporting professional learning and community building opportunities
- Providing information, tools, and training to strengthen onsite mentoring
- Promoting a strengths-based, learner-centered approach
- Elevating student engagement and success in online learning
Download our free guide to mentoring online learners.
This free guide is intended to provide an understanding of the fundamental elements of mentoring or coaching students for success with online courses and has been prepared with the assistance and insight of experienced mentors, instructors, administrators and customer care representatives from Michigan Virtual.
The guide describes the roles and responsibilities of the mentor and contains tools to prepare mentors for working with online learners.
Online Mentor Community
Join our statewide community of 150+ mentors!
Research suggests that online learner success improves with strong mentoring systems. In honor of this, Michigan Virtual is building a statewide network of online mentors who are committed to expanding online learner success. Through an Online Mentor Community, regular face-to-face and virtual events, mentor training courses, and a cohort of Regional Mentor Leaders ready to support mentor peers, Michigan Virtual is committed to building the capacity of school systems to set their online learners up for success.
As a participant you will:
- Learn the best practices from current research and your peers
- Understand the varying roles of a mentor
- Discover new strategies to assist struggling students
- Network with other mentors from a variety of programs
- Learn how to advocate for online students within your district
Mentor Site Institutes
Attend one of our regional training events.
Designed to tap into and broaden a statewide network of mentors of online learners, these events are facilitated by Michigan Virtual coaches at the home base of a Regional Mentor Leader. At these events you will:
- Examine a mentoring system in action
- Connect & strategize with mentoring peers
- Reflect upon & refine your online mentoring program
- Expand your mentoring knowledge base around the role of developmental relationships in ensuring online learner success
- Earn 5 SCECHs
Ogemaw Heights High School — September 20, 2018
Join us for our upcoming Mentor Site Institute on September 20, 2018 @ Ogemaw Heights High School! The event will run from 8:30am-2:30pm, and participants will earn 5 SCECHs.Register Here
Interested in peer support?
Fill out the form to get connected with a Regional Mentor Leader for free!
This cohort of leaders is comprised of Mentors of the Year and others with a history of effective online student engagement, and they are ready to be your thought partner.