Mentors Make a Difference
A little guidance goes a long way
Michigan Virtual’s mentor training offers information, resources and opportunities to support school leaders and onsite mentors in perfecting their practice to improve student success in online courses.
Be ahead of the game with the most up-to-date developments in mentor practices.
- Sharing knowledge of mentor best practices
- Creating and supporting professional learning and community building opportunities
- Providing information, tools, and training to strengthen onsite mentoring
- Promoting a strengths-based, learner-centered approach
- Elevating student engagement and success in online learning
Research suggests that online learner success improves with strong mentoring systems.
In honor of this, Michigan Virtual is building a statewide network of online mentors who are committed to expanding online learner success. Through an Online Mentor Community, regular face-to-face and virtual events, mentor training courses, and a cohort of Regional Mentor Leaders ready to support mentor peers, Michigan Virtual is committed to building the capacity of school systems to set their online learners up for success.
Mentor Site Institutes
Designed to tap into and broaden a statewide network of mentors of online learners, these events are facilitated by Michigan Virtual coaches at the home base of a Regional Mentor Leader. At these events you will:
- Examine a mentoring system in action
- Connect & strategize with mentoring peers
- Reflect upon & refine your online mentoring program
- Expand your mentoring knowledge base around the role of developmental relationships in ensuring online learner success
The events will run from 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. and participants will earn 5 SCECHs.
Foundations for Online Student Success
Are you involved in mentoring online students in your school or district and looking for ways to increase their success?
Are you wondering how you can use your existing skills and free resources to support your online learners better?
Then the Online Mentor Community is for you!
As a participant you will:
- Learn the best practices from current research and your peers
- Understand the varying roles of a mentor
- Discover new strategies to assist struggling students
- Network with other mentors from a variety of programs
- Join a growing statewide network of onsite mentors through the Online Mentor Community
- Learn how to advocate for online students within your district
- Visit our mentor community in the professional learning portal to learn more.
11-3-2017 at Ingham ISD (room 302 of the Thorburn Education Center)
The event will run from 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. and participants will earn 5 SCECHs.
Mentor Fundamentals: A Guide for Mentoring Online Learners
This guide is intended to provide an understanding of the fundamental elements of mentoring or coaching students for success with online courses and has been prepared with the assistance and insight of experienced mentors, instructors, administrators and customer care representatives from Michigan Virtual.
The guide describes the roles and responsibilities of the mentor and contains tools to prepare mentors for working with online learners.
Interested in peer support?
Fill out the form to get connected with a Regional Mentor Leader for free!
This cohort of leaders is comprised of Mentors of the Year and others with a history of effective online student engagement, and they are ready to be your thought partner.