When a student fails a course, or maybe several courses, online learning becomes an alluring option, a second chance to recover the credits required for graduation.
The only problem? It should come as no surprise that moving a student’s learning into an online format does not guarantee a different outcome. If you provide a highly-supportive learning environment, however, their odds of success increase.
That’s why we’ve tailored our Essentials courses — a high-quality, online, credit recovery and alternative learning solution — to meet the needs of students who need extra support in order to succeed in their online courses.
- Taught by highly-qualified, Michigan-certified online teachers, who are endorsed in the subject area and grade-level related to your student’s credit recovery needs
- Includes comprehensive student orientation modules, free of charge. These modules help students transition smoothly into the realm of online learning
- Provides students access to EdReady Math, a nationally-recognized program designed to help students master a range of mathematical concepts
- Offers mentors free training in evidence-based best practices, so students can receive the support they need in order to succeed
Our Pilot Study
In Summer 2017, we ran a pilot study with high school students seeking credit recovery. The results of this study were promising. Discounting the four enrollments in which students never attempted any part of the course, 40 of our 54 students passed their online classes, giving the pilot study an overall pass rate of 74 percent.
That’s 19 percentage points higher than the 2016-17 statewide virtual learning pass rate and 30 percentage points higher than the statewide virtual pass rate for schools with an alternative education emphasis. We will continue to improve our Essentials courses to boost these rates even further for students who need additional support in online learning in order to succeed.
Michigan Virtual offers online Credit Recovery Courses in:
- Algebra 1A
- Algebra 1B
- Algebra 2A
- Algebra 2B
- Biology A
- Biology B
- Chemistry A
- Chemistry B
- ELA 10A / World Literature A
- ELA 10B / World Literature B
- ELA 11A / American Literature A
- ELA 11B / American Literature B
- ELA 12A / British Literature A
- ELA 12B / British Literature B
- ELA 9A
- ELA 9B
- Geometry A
- Geometry B
- Modern World History & Geography A
- Modern World History & Geography B
- Physics A
- Physics B
- U.S. History (1877- Present) A
- U.S. History (1877-Present) B
Mentor training in evidence-based best practices, access to EdReady Math and comprehensive student orientation modules are available at no additional cost.
Need More Information?
If you are interested in offering our Essentials program at your school, please fill out the form below and someone will get back to you shortly.