According to the National Institute of Mental Health, almost half of all adolescents experience mental illness. This fundamental course will focus on offering educators options and strategies for working with students with mental health issues. Through articles, videos, and interactive content, you will review current statistical trends, identify individuals in the school setting who are equipped to support these students, and explain how outside agencies can be part of the solution as well. You will also consider additional training to assist in responding to a student mental health crisis.
In this course, you will:
- Review statistical trends about mental health and compare how they impact your community,
- Define different mental health disorders,
- Identify different school-based mental health professionals,
- Understand the impacts of partnering with outside agencies and resources, and
- Evaluate strategies to implement when dealing with a mental health crisis in your school.