Having an anti-racist and social justice-oriented stance toward education puts students first and prioritizes equity among all learners from all backgrounds. In this course, you will become more aware of and hopefully comfortable with anti-racist and social-justice-oriented strategies through a series of scenarios that address real-world situations. You will receive personalized information and resources based on your experience and level of knowledge in these areas and learn from various experts in the field of anti-racist and inclusive education.
In this course, you will:
- Recognize racism, privilege, and their manifestation in school and society,
- Analyze theoretical frameworks (the whys and hows) for anti-racist teaching and social justice teaching and leadership,
- Describe systemic oppression and strategies to move from recognizing it to acting to dismantle it,
- Investigate ways for connecting with staff, families, and the community to engage with issues of justice and equity, and
- Describe methods for community engagement within and beyond the school.