Implementing and maintaining social-emotional learning (SEL) school and district-wide, with fidelity, is paramount to its overall success. This course provides information about ways that SEL can be integrated in a school’s policies and practices. You will focus on leadership and delineating actions that administrators and instructional leaders can take to embed SEL within the core functioning of the school, such as, aligning its collective values with other school initiatives and creating a SEL vision and mission. This course is part of the Social and Emotional Learning series.
In this course, you will:
- Describe a systemic approach to implement SEL, while also considering times of budgetary stress or leadership turnover,
- Recognize the importance of implementing SEL schoolwide, such that SEL is not an add-on but integrated into the fabric of school life,
- Develop SEL alongside other important efforts that occur within the school (e.g., MTSS, educator effectiveness, discipline, PBIS, mental health, bullying, trauma-responsive practices, and cultural responsiveness),
- Identify strategies to embed SEL within the school improvement planning process to reflect SEL as a priority,
- Create action steps to explicitly embed SEL within the daily function and instruction of schools and classrooms.