The new Michigan Science Standards are changing how we think about science instruction in our state. This introductory course will help you understand the Michigan Science Standards and NGSS and you will discover the teacher-crafted Phenomenal Science curriculum. You will learn to identify the essential characteristics of an exemplary elementary science lesson, and the need to apply Science Discourse, Modeling, and Inquiry in your classrooms. Finally, you will see how you can apply several key instructional strategies in your own classrooms.
In this course, you will:
- Discover how you and your students can approach the study of nature just like a scientist would,
- Familiarize yourself with the elements of the Phenomenal Science curriculum implementing this approach – created by Michigan teachers for Michigan teachers,
- Explore the teaching methods as you learn through experimentation, reflections and your own ‘notebooking’,
- Discover the Community Wall that will allow you to connect to other community members, and
- Review resources that will aid you in your teaching methods.