Multilingual learners bring a wealth of knowledge and experiences to the classroom that can be honed to advance language acquisition and benefit your other students as well. This course demonstrates how K-12 general education teachers can support emergent bilingual or multilingual English learners in online or hybrid contexts. These modules will outline current research in language acquisition, how to honor the linguistic and cultural skill sets of students, Universal Design for Learning online, how to create inclusive digital environments, and strategies for oral language development.
In this course, you will:
- Understand the strengths and needs of different groups of multilingual learners,
- Learn how to draw on student funds of knowledge in online/hybrid language lessons,
- Provide multiple means of engagement, representation, and expression that supports multilingual students,
- Identify the importance of reducing affective filters for creating inclusive digital communities, and
- Develop cooperative learning structures to increase oral language development.