LANSING, Mich. — State Superintendent of Public Instruction Dr. Michael F. Rice has joined the Board of Directors of Michigan Virtual. Rice was appointed state superintendent in 2019 and is the fifth top school chief in Michigan to serve on the Michigan Virtual Board since its inception in 1998.
“Having Dr. Rice join the Michigan Virtual Board of Directors is a wonderful addition,” stated Board Chair Brian Broderick, Executive Director of the Michigan Association of Non-Public Schools. “His professional background in public education and deep personal passion to serve all students regardless of their zip code will strengthen our commitment to providing all students with innovative learning options.”
Michigan Virtual partners with more than 500 districts in the state of Michigan to provide online courses and supplemental programs for Michigan students and professional development for educators. It is the parent organization of the Michigan Virtual Learning Research Institute. Michigan Virtual is governed by a 16-member board of directors representing business and education communities. Michigan Virtual’s mission is to advance both learning and teaching through research, practice, and partnerships.
“For more than 20 years, Michigan Virtual has played a valuable role in partnering with Michigan schools and school districts to share online professional development and online learning experiences, with a commitment to quality and innovation,” Rice said. “Michigan Virtual has provided significant leadership during the pandemic and has made available many free resources and support services to students, parents, and educators. I look forward to a strong, ongoing partnership with Michigan Virtual.”
Prior to his start at the Michigan Department of Education, Dr. Rice served 17 years as a local district superintendent: 12 years as superintendent in Kalamazoo, Michigan and five as superintendent in Clifton, New Jersey. Dr. Rice began his career in public education in the Washington, D.C. Public Schools, where he taught high school French and founded and coached an award-winning speech and debate program. He graduated from Yale University with a bachelor’s degree in psychology with honors and from New York University with a master’s degree and doctoral degree in public administration, also with honors.
In addition to Rice and Broderick, the Michigan Virtual Board members are:
- Amanda Wagenschutz, (Vice-Chair) Executive Director of Employee Experience Delivery for Consumers Energy
- Darrell Burks, (Secretary/Treasurer) CPA, Former Partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Prentiss Brown, Attorney, Prentiss M. Brown, P.C.
- Robert Filka, CEO, Home Builders Association of Michigan
- Jamey Fitzpatrick, Michigan Virtual President & CEO
- Brendan Guenther, Chief Academic Digital Officer at Michigan State University
- Daniel Kiblawi, Former President and CEO of Egelhof Controls Corporation
- Kevin Miller, Superintendent, St. Clair County Regional Educational Service Agency
- Michael Shoudy, Executive Director, Michigan Education Association
- Deborah Snyder, President, St. Clair County Community College
- Rossi Ray-Taylor, President & CEO, Ray.Taylor and Associates, LLC
- Stephanie Teasley, Research Professor, School of Information, University of Michigan
- Jeff Williams, Director, Community Data and Research Lab at the Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy in Grand Valley State University
- Wendy Zdeb, Executive Director, Michigan Association of Secondary School Principals