The structure of school board meetings, along with the conduct of the superintendent and board members during those meetings, often shape the public’s perception of the quality of education in the district. This course will help you build foundational knowledge for effectively conducting board meetings and the requirements of the Open Meetings Act. You will learn about the purpose of board meetings and the roles of superintendent and board, as well as practical guidelines around creating an agenda and board packet, elements to an effective meeting, and steps to take after the meeting.
In this course, you will:
- Understand the importance of a board meeting along with the separate roles of boards members and the superintendent,
- Assess your 12 month planning calendar and determine if it provides appropriate direction for the superintendent, school board, staff, and community,
- Review a scenario of a school board meeting and identify which elements are effective and which are not,
- Determine appropriate professional behavior and tone for a public board meeting, and
- Identify how to follow the rules and guidelines of the Open Meetings Act.