As we get deeper into our podcast adventure, we are feeling fortunate to have the opportunity to converse with fantastic educators and get a glimpse into how learning happens in their classrooms or schools. This week was no different. So, per the usual, here are a few links to things we chatted about around this week’s campfire:
- We got off to a good start by chatting about Jeff and I’s summer camp experiences as kids.
- We shared how we are majorly digging on Google Docs, Slides, Sheets, Forms — really the whole Google Suite of tools, but also add-ons like AutoCrat and Flubaroo, too.
In our conversation with Erin Mastin, we discussed:
- The #michED Twitter Chat and how that deepened her interest in competency-based learning and this article that explains competency-based learning.
- Integrating STEM activities into her 3rd-grade curriculum and how that’s benefited both her and her students!
- How she and her 3rd-grade team are approaching the growth mindset in her “mistake-making classroom.”
- How to further engage students in their own learning through data, goals and even a few fun incentives!
- We quizzed Erin on her Alma Mater — Michigan State University! Of 7 questions, she got 4 right — but don’t worry, she just knows she can grow a little more to get 7/7 next time!
Next, we brought in our very own Kelli Hixon to talk about competency-based learning and asked her to share her experiences and knowledge from her previous role as a teacher/coach in a competency-based school district.
And just in case you missed it, we’re still offering to send you swag if your #CampfireQ was chosen for the show! You can Tweet it, post it on Facebook or Instagram, or even find us on Snapchat — Erin (Twitter, Snapchat) and Jeff (Twitter, Snapchat) and ask questions there!
As always, if you want to subscribe, check us out on iTunes, Google Play Music and SoundCloud! Just a quick note — Campfire is made possible by Zencastr; podcasters, check out Zencastr to record your remote guests in high quality!