SLP: Parent/Guardian FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
Guardians may use the list below to answer frequently asked questions about Michigan Virtual‘s Student Learning Portal. Simply tap the question to view the answer pertaining to the listed question.
- The Student Learning Portal is Michigan Virtual’s new student information system (SIS). The site will provide capabilities for registering students in courses; documenting grading; tracking attendance; and messaging. The Student Learning Portal should not be confused with a learning management system or virtual learning environment, where course materials, assignments and assessment tests can be published electronically.
- You received the email because a Student Learning Portal account has been created for your student. This account was created either because you registered the student or because someone from your student’s school did. Along with the creation of the student account, we’ve created a “guardian account” for you to access your student’s information and monitor progress in his or her Michigan Virtual course. To learn more about how to change your password, update your information or monitor your student’s progress, please visit our Guardian Quick Start Guide.
- Parents/Guardians who wish to register students in Michigan Virtual courses will be required to setup an account in the Student Learning Portal. Both guardian and student will require a unique and valid email address when creating this account and should follow instructions outlined in the Add Student and Guardian Accounts article.
- Michigan Virtual will accept credit or debit card payment types containing the Visa, Mastercard, and Discover logos through the Student Learning Portal.
- Parents/Guardians will login to the Student Learning Portal and browse courses within the Course Registration page. Once courses are selected for purchase, you will submit your payment information, and the system will enroll your student into the course.
- Parents/Guardians should refer to the Michigan Virtual Enrollment Calendar when selecting term start dates. Upon course registration, you will have the option to choose the available start dates.
- A student’s course grades and assignments can be observed in the Student Learning Portal without accessing the Gradebook within the Learning Management System (LMS). Use the options within your Dashboard to view items such as the Academic Snapshot, Suggested Pacing, Gradebook and more.
- Michigan Virtual is committed to maintaining an accessible website. Information can be found on our Web Accessibility Policy page.
- The Certificate of Completion can be easily located in the Student Learning Portal within the Completed Courses module on the Student or Guardian Dashboard. If you need to obtain your certificate for a course completed prior to summer 2018, please contact the Customer Care Center and include the name of the district, full name of the school building, the desired school years and any other pertinent information to help us provide the certificates you need.
- Once your student receives a final grade in their course, Michigan Virtual’s Student Learning Portal will generate a Certificate of Completion. The certificate contains a score (percentage), the instructor(s) and course name. Michigan Virtual will not distribute the Certificate of Completion or a formal transcript to the student’s local school. Parents/Guardians may provide the certificate to the local school. It is the responsibility of the local school to assign the letter grade they deem appropriate on the student’s transcript.
- A mentor could be a local teacher, counselor, librarian or even a parent, depending on who enrolled the student. Access the Locate Mentor Contact Information article to learn more.
Last updated on September 1, 2020