CEMS: Record Student Course Information into the MSDS
This document describes how to populate a few fields within the Student Course Component in the Michigan Student Data System (MSDS) for a Michigan Virtual Course.
- First locate the course syllabus within the CEMS Course Catalog.
- Next find the course by locating the appropriate content area (Colored section), choosing the school level (tab) and finally selecting the subject (link).
- Then select the Course Title to display the course syllabus link.
- Next click the syllabus link to open a new window containing the course information needed to populate the MSDS.
- Match the values from the course syllabus to complete the required fields in the MSDS. We recommend that you add “- Michigan Virtual” to the “Local Course Title” to help identify Michigan Virtual as the provider of this course. Michigan Virtual for Students instructors do not have a Personal Identification Code (PIC). This field must be populated with the course Mentor’s PIC. A mentor teacher may be reported as the teacher of record for virtual delivery courses. Mentor teachers must be certified teachers. You may enter a maximum of three mentors.
- Next choose “Yes” from the Virtual Delivery drop down menu as the delivery method for an Michigan Virtual course is virtual.
- Finally select “Yes” from the Mentor Teacher drop down menu as the instructor of this virtual delivery course is serving in a mentor teacher capacity.
Last modified on October 23, 2017