MDE Teacher Certification Renewal: Michigan Virtual FAQs
- The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) uses the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS) to renew teaching certificates for Michigan teachers. MDE authorizes Michigan Virtual as a State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECH) sponsor to provide courses that meet MDE SCECH standards. Information about your certificate renewal can be found at MDE – Educator Services.
- Course completion by June 23 allows for upload before June 30. Michigan Virtual uploads to MOECS all course completions for SCECH credit on a regular frequency.
- Yes. Instructor-led courses are graded by facilitators after you submit your work before they can be uploaded to MOECS for SCECHs. Courses with no instructor (ed2go, PCG, Microsoft) can be uploaded for SCECHs more quickly. Please remember that a greater percentage of teachers are finalizing courses during the months of April, May and June in order to meet MDE’s deadline of June 30 each year.
- There could be a variety of reasons. Please begin by checking the following:
- Have ten days past since course completion? If not, please be patient while SCECHs are uploaded to MOECS.
- In PLP, is your course listed under your completed courses? Check the Professional Learning Portal to verify the course is in your completed list. The Check Course Completion Status can guide you through how to check. If not in your completed list, please complete your course. Please remember that a facilitated course must be graded by your facilitator.
- Do you have an evaluation due in MOECS? For MOECS to record your SCECHs in your transcript, you must claim them first. If you experience issues with the evaluation, please contact the MOECS help desk at 517-373-3310 or via email.
Please contact the Customer Care Center if you need assistance in PLP after checking on your course completion.
Please contact MOECS if you have questions about your MOECS account.
- Please visit the PLP Online Solutions for SCECH Courses page for additional information.
- Only if you 1) complete the final exam on the June 23 final exam release date and 2) complete the course.
- Please refer to the Find Personal Identification Code (PIC) Guide.